Are you wondering which hair product ingredients you should avoid? Labels on hair products are not easy to read and to understand. Sometimes you can not event trust the claims that manufactures have placed on their products. “All natural” is not always the truth as it can be used for anything. If the products is made with organic then it contains a minimum of 70 percent certified-organic ingredients. The best thing we can do is to understand the ingredients on the products in order to avoid any chemical harms. Here is a list of 7 bad hair product ingredients that you should avoid:
Bad Hair Product Ingredients
1. Isopropyl Alcohol is also called rubbing alcohol. It can be in hair color rinses, fragances and shaving lotions. It is used in antifreeze. Products that contain Isopropyl Alcohol can sometimes dry your hair and causes breakage
2. Chlorine can affect your health (asthma, diabetis, bronchitis, irritation etc). You can’t really avoid it as it is in our laundry products, tap water, pool, etc.
3. Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) is used to dissolve grease and oil. It is also used to thickens products. PEG strips your hair of its natural moisture and weakens the immune system.
4. Propylene Glycol (PG) – This one is used in antifreeze and it absorbs into hair quickly. In the industrial it is used to break down protein. It is in some skin care products and cosmetic products like deodorants. Organs like brain, lung and liver can be damaged by overexposure of PG.
5. Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) & Sodium Lauryle Sulfate (SLS) – These are often found in car wash soaps or floor cleaners. But you can find these in products that foam like toothpaste, hair conditioner, soaps, shower gel, shampoo etc.
6. Diethanolamine (DEA), Momoethnanolamine (MEA), and Triethanolamine (TEA) – These chemicals are hormone disrupting chemicals and can form cancer. Foamy care products contains DEA, MEA, and TEA.
7. Mineral Oil coats the hair and acts as a natural barrier to moisture getting in the hair. However, if you use it too often the hair becomes dry and brittle. The more mineral oil used, the more the hair dries out and will become weak and thin.
The first ingredient that is listed on a product is what the product mostly contains. Products that have water as its first ingredients are good for moisturizing.
Take these hair ingredients that you should avoid into consideration to take care of your hair. You will gain healthy and thick hair. People often ask me how to build a good hair routine. Click here to read more about 5 Easy Ways To Build A Great Hair Routine.
Do you read the labels to check the hair product ingredients?
Hit the like button – Leave a comment – Share this post with anyone you think will get value from it. Share you thoughts and questions. Subscribe to our newsletter and get a Free Ebook on “Hair Porosity Test”.